Packing is a daunting task. When you’re moving to a new home in Austin, TX, it’s the packing that residents tend to dread the most. The toughest part is really getting started, and once you get that process started it tends to move along more easily after just a little while. So how do you get over that most difficult hump? Knowing what to pack first can get you started more easily, and therefore lead to an easier overall packing and moving experience.
First things first, it’s important to start with a plan. Planning out your packing process in Austin, TX means that you won’t get that first area done and suddenly find yourself unsure of where to go next. Sit down, plan your first packing areas, then plan out the rest all the way up until moving day.
Crafting Your Plan
Once you craft your plan, you’ll be ready to get started, but where do you start with your plans? A good outline to follow for your Austin, TX move is:
- 4 weeks from moving day – Starting 4 weeks from moving day, you’re going to want to start with your non-essentials. Your holiday items are a great place to get started, and if it’s the middle of summertime or early fall, you’ll want to get those Christmas or other holiday things packed away first. After this, you’ll want to take care of your surplus items like extra towels or bedding you’re not going to use, and then your collectibles or pieces of unnecessary décor.
- 3 weeks from moving day – Once you hit that 3 week out mark, you’ll want to take care of the rest of your décor. After your décor is all packed up, you might want to start in on some entertainment items you’re not going to use before the big move. DVDs collecting dust can be packed up and put away. Next you’ll want to start on your nonessential kitchen items like your china, rarely used appliances, or those cupcake tins.
- 2 weeks out – At the 2 week mark you’ll want to clean out your linen closets and game or activity closets that keep board games or other occasional children’s toys. After these are packed away, starting in on jewelry or accessories comes next.
- 1 Week before the move – In the week leading up to your move, pack up the remainder of the kitchen, the laundry room, the bathroom, and your own closets. Make sure you have what you’ll need for the week, but nothing more.
- Moving day – On moving day, you should be left with just some essentials, but nothing too unmanageable to be packed in a day.
Getting Packed And Ready
Getting packed and ready might be a lot of work, but it doesn’t have to be tough or overwhelming. For more information on how to make your next Austin, TX move just a bit easier, contact us for our help at Instamove Austin today.